Interview with Karen Siegel Who Teaches Art to Kids

Karen Siegel of Westport, Connecticut is a former student of Wisdom Painting and Art. She now teaches art to children ages 3-10 at the Silvermine Guild Arts Center in New Canaan, Connecticut. She also teaches private lessons.

After last month’s newsletter (July) went out, Karen emailed to tell me of her current work. Because I found her work to be inspiring, I decided to interview her for this issue of Wisdom and Art Inspirations.

She says: “I am very interested in the energetics of things: from the energy created by certain sound vibrations to the energy of drawing "live" meaning the energy of drawing a living hot pepper versus drawing from a photograph because of the actual interaction and energy exchange!”

Interview questions by Mary A. Gravelle.

1. When did you begin teaching at Silvermine?

I started working at Silvermine School of Art 1 year ago.

2. How does the environment at Silvermine help you as a teacher?

Silvermine is located in a very relaxed and beautiful setting...there is a waterfall and pond in the back that definitely stirs up the creative energies. The school is very committed to being a space for everyone to explore their creative possibilities. (Notice how I didn't use the word "abilities"!)

3. What are some examples of lessons that you teach the kids: i.e., activities and the lessons learned from those activities?

I use a combination of music, sound and fun art materials to encourage creativity and imagination. (EXAMPLE: CD from the Monterey, California Aquarium of piano with dolphin and whale sounds!)

4. What inspired you to teach kids ages 3-10?

Nine years ago, I started teaching art at a preschool...I really enjoy teaching kids in this age group (3-10) because they come from " beginner's mind"...young children can relax into the creative space with ease. I think they can do this because their brains are less cluttered!

5. What do you think is the most important aspect to teaching art to this age group?

I believe the most important aspect of teaching art to this age group is to set up a very open-ended environment with lots of cool, fun materials and very relaxing music. With the older kids I draw and paint right along with them so that the synergy we create has a cumulative effect with everyone sharing their work and ideas.

6. What is your biggest challenge in teaching this age group?

My biggest challenge as a teacher is that we all need to develop patience, myself included! I have a few expressions I use:" Try again" (when a child gets frustrated) and" Everything is fine, learning takes time."

7. What is your greatest joy in this work?

My greatest joy is to see the sparkle of discovery...nothing beats that!

8. What is your greatest heartache in this work?

My greatest heartache is seeing how some kids are so afraid of making a mistake! I tell them there are no mistakes in art and this is their time to explore and discover!

9. What events in your life led up to teaching kids about art?

My Dad is an artist. So from the time I was very young, he generously shared all his knowledge, wisdom and experience. Another great contributor was my working at the Westport Children's Library where I learned what kids like. I also became very familiar with all the great kids books (especially picture books) that are out there and are now an integral part of my teaching. (We always have snack and Read Aloud...artists get hungry when they are working hard!)

10. How did the Igniting Your Intentions sessions with Wisdom Painting and Art influence your current work?

I took your class at a very intense time in my life...my Mother was literally on her deathbed. Going through this time with you as my guide helped me emotionally.

And then to have a painting I did of my Mom going through her dying process is beyond description. What I came away with is that even in the height of grief and loss, creation is possible.

11. What are the special challenges you see for kids in 2010 and beyond?

Special challenge for kids now is taking the time to create. We are all so visually bombarded I think it's easy to get overloaded.

12. How can art education help them with these challenges?

Creating art is sacred time..a sanctuary from the intensity and pace of the world.

13. What advice do you have for other art teachers?

My advice to teachers is...try not to overteach..create a lot of airtime, time to just muse, ponder and be.

14. What education prepared you to teach these kids about art?

As far as my college education, I double majored in studio art and education, followed by taking classes at The School of Visual Arts in New York in graphic design. I enjoyed being a graphic designer for 20 years working in design firms, ad agencies and book publishers. Then I decided I wanted to work more hands-on with kids and contribute to their creative process.

15. Where do you see your teaching leading you?

I see my job as one where by creating a relaxed environment, I can help bring my students to that quiet place of silence and stillness from which the creative force emerges.

16. How can someone reach you or find out more information about classes at Silvermine and your private sessions?

They can reach me at my email address: artkaren@aol.com

17. Can you show us some work of your students?

In addition to the photographs included in this article, below is a short, quick, fun, art-in-action video of a few of Karen's students works along with inspirational quotes gleaned from this interview.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Flowering of Consciousness

Desire vs. Want